Monday 25 October 2010

Ways of Exhibiting

For this project, I would really like to make my work stand out and be visually interesting, not just through the actual images themselves but also the way in which they are presented. I suggested this within Part 1 of Exercise 1 for PH3000, saying that I would like to start experimenting with the idea of exhibiting in the form of installation work. Having had this in mind, I instantly thought of the idea of using light boxes. I have always been a fan of their use within photography as I feel that they add an extra dimension to the images, giving them extra depth and added visual interest.
I was first stuck by the appeal of light boxes when I visited an exhibition by Andrew Brooks in Urbis, Manchester. The exhibition was entitled "Hidden Manchester", and the images showed the likes of old bomb shelters that are deep beneath the centre Manchester.
http://www.andrewbrooksphotography.com/view-main-gallery.php?id=31


The images are great in their own right, but I feel that when viewed on their light boxes they have a much bigger impact upon the viewer.


With this in mind, I feel that this is certainly an option as to how I would present my own imagery for this project. I feel that the work of Brooks works well on light boxes because they have alot of areas lit within the photographs, these areas are then highlighted due to being upon the lightboxes. Therefore, seeing as my own images are focused upon the light glow above cities, I feel that this method would be ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment